America suffers from a shortsighted fiscal policy that promotes consumption today instead of investing in tomorrow. The federal government now spends more to service our growing national debt than it does on public investments in education, infrastructure, and scientific research combined. Meanwhile, a perfect storm of fiscally irresponsible tax cuts and an unwillingness to tackle escalating health and retirement spending are feeding trillion-dollar deficits as far as the eye can see. This is not a fiscal policy for strengthening America’s future – it’s blueprint for American decline.
Washington Republicans only made the problem worse by forcing through a partisan package of unpaid-for tax cuts that the official scorekeepers at the Congressional Budget Office estimate will cost more than $2 trillion over the next 10 years. Instead of holding the GOP accountable for their fiscal mismanagement, some Democrats seem determined to outdo them. Many on the left now propose tens of trillions of dollars in new social spending on top of the unfunded promises the federal government already has made, without offering credible ways to pay for either. Amid these dynamics, a growing group of pragmatic Democrats in Congress have stepped forward to demand bipartisan accountability for our nation’s finances.
The Progressive Policy Institute (PPI) and House Blue Dog Coalition invite you to join us for a lunchtime discussion about what leaders in Congress can do to invest in equitable growth while reducing our national debt. PPI will also release a comprehensive budget plan at the event with over 50 policy recommendations for the next administration to make room for public investments in education, and infrastructure, and scientific research; modernize federal health and retirement programs to reflect an aging society; and create a progressive, pro-growth tax code that raises the revenue necessary to pay the nation’s bills.
- Rep. Stephanie Murphy (D-FL), Co-Chair of the House Blue Dog Coalition
- Rep. Ed Case (D-HI), Co-Chair of the Blue Dog Task Force on Fiscal Responsibility and Government Reform
- Rep. Ben McAdams (D-UT), Co-Chair of the Blue Dog Task Force on Fiscal Responsibility and Government Reform
- Ben Ritz, Director of PPI’s Center for Funding America’s Future
- Marc Goldwein, Senior Vice President at the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget
- Emily Holubowich, Executive Director of the Coalition for Health Funding and Co-Founder of NDD United
Moderated by PPI President Will Marshall
lunch will be provided
Please RSVP by clicking here.
12:00 pm - 1:30 pm
Washington, D.C. | Longworth House Office Building
15 Independence Ave SE