Media Advisory: Building a #BetterBudget, A Forum on Investing in America’s Future and Tackling Our National Debt
WASHINGTON—The Progressive Policy Institute and House Blue Dog Coalition will host a lunchtime discussion today at the Longworth House Office Building about what leaders in Congress can do to invest in equitable growth while reducing our national debt.
America suffers from a shortsighted fiscal policy that promotes consumption today instead of investing in tomorrow. The federal government now spends more to service our growing national debt than it does on public investments in education, infrastructure, and scientific research combined. Meanwhile, a perfect storm of fiscally irresponsible tax cuts and an unwillingness to tackle escalating health and retirement spending are feeding trillion-dollar deficits as far as the eye can see. This is not a fiscal policy for strengthening America’s future – it’s blueprint for American decline.
At the event, PPI will release a comprehensive budget plan with over 50 policy recommendations for the next administration to make room for public investments in education, and infrastructure, and scientific research; modernize federal health and retirement programs to reflect an aging society; and create a progressive, pro-growth tax code that raises the revenue necessary to pay the nation’s bills.
Lunch will be provided. This event is open to the press.
- Rep Stephanie Murphy (D-FL), Co-Chair of the House Blue Dog Coalition
- Rep. Ed Case (D-HI), Co-Chair of the Blue Dog Task Force on Fiscal Responsibility and Government Reform
- Rep. Ben McAdams (D-UT), Co-Chair of the Blue Dog Task Force on Fiscal Responsibility and Government Reform
- Ben Ritz, Director of PPI’s Center for Funding America’s Future
- Marc Goldwein, Senior Vice President at the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget
- Emily Holubowich, Executive Director of the Coalition for Health Funding and Co-Founder of NDD United
- Will Marshall, President of PPI, Moderator
When: Thursday, July 25, 2019
12:00 PM – 1:30 PM
Where: Longworth House Office Building, Room 1302
15 Independence Ave, SE
Washington, D.C. 20515
For press inquires, please contact Carter Christensen, firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-525-3931.